Saturday, August 08, 2009

The self is not made to be loved; the self is made to love

Sometimes we find satisfaction in self-pity. The reason is that it is our nature to find satisfaction in love; and when we are confined to ourselves we begin to love ourselves, and then self-pity arises because we feel our limitation.

But the love of self always brings dissatisfaction, for the self is not made to be loved; the self is made to love.

The first condition to love is to forget oneself.


-Hazrat Inayat Khan


2 comments:

Η ΠΕΤΑΛΟΥΔΑ said...

Do You Love Me?

A lover asked his beloved,
Do you love yourself more
than you love me?



The beloved replied,
I have died to myself
and I live for you.



I’ve disappeared from myself
and my attributes.
I am present only for you.



I have forgotten all my learning,
but from knowing you
I have become a scholar.



I have lost all my strength,
but from your power
I am able.



If I love myself
I love you.
If I love you
I love myself.


RUMI- love poem

Elena said...

Magnificent, thank you.
Rumi is a real spiritual and art genius.