Monday, March 23, 2015

Paying karma consciously

There are millions of human beings who pay their karma consciously. For example, every time Socrates tried to discuss philosophy with his friends, his wife would become angry and say, “My goodness! Again, philosophy; again, philosophy; again, philosophy?” They lived together for forty years in these conditions. Socrates said, “I owe something to this woman; that is why she is bugging me. But I am not going to be like her. I am going to change her as much as possible, or use her nagging in such a way that I develop and unfold myself. Her existence assists me in developing myself and in paying my former debts.”

One day he was talking with one of his friends when his wife entered the room and told them they were making too much noise. So Socrates said, “Let’s go outside.” They were outside, talking beneath a window, when Socrates’ wife emptied the wash water onto his head. Socrates said, “I knew that after thunder, rain always comes.”

Look at how this wise man handled the situation. He knew that he would not have met his wife if he had not done something wrong to her in the past. The way she was was the result of what Socrates had done to her in the past. He handled the situation in such a way that he did not create more karma, and he used the situation as a means to spiritual development.


-Torkom Saraydarian
Karma & Reincarnation

No comments: