Wednesday, August 12, 2015

"You must love others more than your own comfort"

One night my Father came home exhausted from his job. He sat down, relaxed, ate his dinner, and began to listen to some joyful music. It was 10:00 pm when a horseman came and knocked on the door and said, “We saw your friend trapped under a fallen tree, and we couldn’t help him.”

My Father got ready, jumped on his horse, and disappeared in the darkness. He came back at sunrise with the man, who was badly wounded in the chest.

Father was a pharmacist, and he did all that he could to help the man. When the man began to sleep, he left him alone and said to us, “I am so grateful that Nature gave me a body by which I could move the huge tree.” Then looking at me, he said, “If you want to help people, you must have a body that can work long hours without sleep or food, a body that does not give you trouble.” And he showed me his muscles. Then he whispered, “But also you must be daring and fearless.... And one thing more – you must love others more than your own comfort,” and he went to open the pharmacy.


-Torkom Saraydarian
Education as Transformation vol.1

No comments: