Monday, July 09, 2018

Why talk about God?

A boy came to me and asked,
"What is God?"
"Well," I said, "you seem to be very intelligent. Can you explain to me what this leaf is?" He struggled and struggled. Eventually he said,
"You know, I really do not know what the leaf is, what the leaf does." I said,
"How can I talk about God if you do not know about a leaf. Let us talk about something else."
"What?" he asked.
"Why you are smoking?" I asked.
"I like it."
"Well, would you like to take a knife and cut your throat?"
"No," he answered.
Smoking does that. So we engaged in some battle, but on a level that we both understood. Why talk about God?

One time I asked my Teacher, "What is God?" and he said, "Turn your back to me and let me tell you." He gave me a kick in the pants and he said, "That is God. How can you ask such a question?" What do we do? We make God as a Santa Claus and people never can surpass that image anymore. We block them.


-Torkom Saraydarian

No comments: