Saturday, April 11, 2009

A story about attachment to the body

Below is an ancient story of a student who used to go to a preceptor's hermitage in a forest for his studies. The guru used to teach the student that there is no use in depending on one's mother, father, brothers, or relations or on wealth and property. All these are transient. He also used to teach him that life is full of sorrow upto the very end and hence he should be always on the alert. The boy told the guru that this teaching might be all right for recluses like the guru, but was irrelevant for ordinary persons like himself. He told the guru: "My parents are exceptional, my wife is good. All of them love me. How can I disown them?"

The guru said, "I shall prove to you the truth of my teaching." He gave a pill to the student and said that after taking it he will become almost lifeless, but he will be conscious of what is happening around him though others will consider him dead. "Then you will know the truth."
The lad returned home, took the pill and dropped dead (as it were). The mother came, called the father and started wailing over the death of the son. The wife came out on hearing her cries and seeing the husband's body started crying. "I am my father's only daughter. If my husband goes, what will happen to me?" Everyone wailing over the body cried: "What is to happen to me?"

Other relatives also gathered and lamented on the death of a young man who was virtuous and spiritually oriented.
At this stage, the preceptor came there. Everybody made way for him. The guru asked the mother, the father and the wife why they were wailing. They all mentioned the grievous loss of they had suffered in the death of the young man. "What will happen to me?" was the refrain of each of them. He asked the mother to fetch a glass of water. He dosed his eyes as if in prayer and then told them: "If anyone drinks this water, that person will die but the young man will be restored to life." He first offered the water to the wife as the one dearest to the young man.

She said: "I am the only child of my parents. If I die they will collapse. Hence I cannot drink the water." The guru said: "Your husband will live. Why don't you give up your life?" She replied: "The dead man is no more in any case. Why should I die?"

The guru next asked the mother. She said: "My daughter has come for confinement. She is helpless. And I have two more young daughters to be married. How can I leave them?" When the father was asked, he replied: "I am the head of the family. If I go only two ladies will be left in the house, my wife and my daughter-in-
law. My wife will become a widow. With no male member in the house, they will be helpless. How can I give up my life?"

All the three declined to drink the water. They went inside the house and drew up a master-plan. They came out and said:
"Swami! You are immensely compassionate. You have no other attachments. Please drink the water yourself and restore our son's life. We will build a samadhi in marble for you."
At that moment, the guru sprinkled the water on the young man's body. He got up. The guru asked him, “What did your wife say? And your mother and father?" He replied: "They all said, let me die."


Such behaviour is understandable from the worldly aspect but it cannot be termed Love (Prema). It is only attachment. (Such pure Love is limited today by human's self-interest).
As long as one is alive, all seem to love the body. This is also for purely selfish reasons. God alone is utterly selfless. Loving that God, you can lead your lives in the normal way. There is nothing wrong. Whatever you do, treat it as an offering to God. See God in everyone. Don't have ill will towards anyone. Do not have excessive attachment for anyone.
The faith is what is most needed today in this Kali Yuga. It is the loss of faith that is responsible for all the strife and chaos.

-Sai Baba


No comments: